Doze Under Dippy
Come and experience a truly unique family experience with our Doze Under Dippy sleepovers.
Stay overnight in the museum, snoozing under the feet of a 26-foot Diplodocus!
Join us for a night of exploration and fun-filled activities designed for children aged 6 – 11 and their grown-ups. This will be a night you will always remember!
During the event you will:
· Take part in torch light tours of the museum.
· Get creative with arts and crafts.
· Discover fun facts about Dippy and get hands on with our fossil collection.
· Wind down for a short film in our studio.
Lights go out at 11:30pm and then it's time to settle down to sleep. Breakfast is served between 7am to 8am, and before departing you can join us for a wake up and shake up dino inspired routine to get you energised for the day ahead. Departure from the museum is at 9am.
Saturday 18 November 2023 (SOLD OUT) | NEW DATES! Saturday 27 January & Saturday 24 February
Bookable via the Dippy in Coventry website. Upon booking, you will receive a confirmation and a full itinerary for the night will be sent to you. Please bring your booking confirmation with you on the night of the sleepover.
*£50 per person for adults, children and carers.
The timetable for the event is as follows:
6:30pm – Arrive, register, receive your team colour for the night and set up sleeping spot.
7:00pm – Welcome from the museum team and a review of the ‘rules’.
7:15pm – 1st Activity
8:00pm – 2nd Activity
9:00pm – Break for evening refreshments (please note snacks will need to be brought with you, but water, tea and coffee are available in the café area and is included in your ticket price).
9:30pm – 3rd Activity
10:15pm – 4th Activity
11:00 – Activities end, get ready for bed (no pyjamas, must be loungewear in case of evacuation)
11:30 – Lights out.
7:00am – Breakfast and pack up.
8:00am – Farewell activity with a dino inspired wake up and shake up routine.
9:00am – Home time.
· The Herbert Art Gallery & Museum closes the public at 4.00pm. We will reopen at 6:15pm to welcome all Dippy sleepover groups. You will not be permitted to enter the museum before this time.
· Children and adults will need to have had dinner before arriving to the museum. A designated snack break is factored in at 9pm.
· Sleepover events are strictly for children aged 6 and above.
· When you arrive, please come to the main entrance to the museum, which is opposite the Old Cathedral and clearly marked with a giant Dinosaur graphic around the doors.
· Please bring your email confirmation (no need to print just show at the door).
· When you have registered at the welcome desk, you will be given coloured wrist bands for children to wear that highlight what group they will be in for the evening, for the various activities. You will then be shown to your sleeping area which will be around Dippy. Please note that all participants will be sleeping in this communal area.
· All activities and resources will be provided by the museum so all you need to do is to show up.
· Once you are in the museum, you will not be able to leave and comeback unless it is an emergency, this is to ensure that our collections remain as secure as possible, that children are protected from strangers entering the building and that no children leave the premises or become separated from their grown-ups.
Food and drink:
· Please ensure that you have an evening meal before you arrive. Please bring snacks with you, but please avoid nut-based foods. Water, tea and coffee will be available from self-serve stations in the café and is included in your ticket price.
· Please bring a bottle of water that can be secured.
· Breakfast will be provided the following morning in our café. Please make dietary requirements known at the time of booking. Dietary requirements will need to be sent through at least one week prior to your sleepover. The breakfast available will be a cold, self-serve breakfast (cereal, pastries and fruit) along with water and juice (and tea and coffee for the grown ups).
What you will need to bring:
· A sleeping bag.
· Toothbrush and any other toiletries. Please note that we do not have showers on site, only wash basin facilities.
· You may want to bring ear plugs and eye masks as there will be some lights left on for Health and Safety reasons.
· You will be provided with a sleeping mat.
· You are welcome to bring additional sleeping mats with you, but for health and safety reasons, we cannot allow any air mattresses above 2 inches thick or mattresses that require electricity to inflate.
· You won't be able to use electrical items that require a plug, so we recommend adults to bring their own battery packs to recharge phones is required. We strongly advise children to not bring phones or devices with them. All personal belongings are the responsibility of the individual, and the museum takes no responsibility for loss of items during the sleepover events.
What to wear:
· All activities will be inside, but some activities will require getting messy and active!
· No changing in the communal areas, please use toilet cubicles, which are gender neutral. The toilets on the upper floor are larger, with each cubicle having its own sink and hand drier, with enough space to change in.
· We are requesting no pyjamas, in the event of a fire evacuation and also for modesty. Instead please wear loungewear, such as jogging bottoms, leggings, t-shirts and/or hoodies.
Please note* Adults are responsible for their children at all times throughout the night. This will ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable evening. An adult must be present at each activity and accompany their children at all times.
Adult ratios are recommended as follows:
1-2 children = 1 adult
3 – 4 children – 2 adults
5 – 10 children = 3 adults
After that, we have a strict 1 adult to every 10 children policy