October Half Term - The Big Draw
Take part in the worldwide festival of drawing, as we explore art as a means for mindfulness for families and to support children’s mental wellbeing.
Creative experiences can be a way for children to express themselves, explore their feelings, and take time to reflect and relax. At the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, this October half term, we want to support children to work collaboratively with their family and friends to embrace creative opportunities that connect them with our collections, as they work towards creating a physical art piece using different art materials in an inspiring setting. We will be creating a large visual display throughout the week as part of The Big Draw Festival and would welcome children to leave one of their art works with us to display in the Studio, but they are welcome to make more than one masterpiece, so they have something to take home too. Visit us again and again throughout the week to take part in different activities.
Designed for 5 – 11 years, but all are welcome
Saturday 23, Monday 25 & Tuesday 26 October
Coloured Chalk Creations – Using large cardboard, we will invite children to reflect on their favourite things either from home, or from one of the many items of wonder they will have discovered as they explore the museum. Using chalks and pastels, they will then spend time making big art pieces to add to our wall display in the Studio, that we’re hoping to fill as the week goes on!
Wednesday 27 & Thursday 28 October
Collaborative Art Works – This activity is one for all the family, as we cover your tables with large rolls of paper. Using bold, black markers, each person in your group will draw images and thoughts of your own imaginings onto the paper, which will then be coloured in using mess free paint sticks.
Friday 29 & Saturday 30 October
Mindful, Musical Masterpieces – Move your hand to the rhythm of the music as we bring sound, emotive responses and drawing together to create unique line drawings that will become filled with colour as you enjoy the calming method of watercolour painting. Taking part in this activity will be a truly unique experience as we welcome Coventry Music Service to play live music for the first part of this workshop to create a truly memorable and inspiring experience as we bring our half term Big Draw Festival to a close.
Covid-19 Safety Measures
We want you to feel safe and assured that attending our half term workshops will enable you to have a fun and engaging experience with your children. Here is what we are doing to ensure this for you:
- Sessions are bookable in advance only. This way we can guarantee we are within our capacity for the space whilst delivering to a reduced number of visitors to our play sessions to allow for more space in the room.
- This measure will remain in place throughout Autumn and Winter as we stay cautious of Covid infection rates. We will continuously review how the sessions are accessed following on from feedback and consultation with families in the city.
- Visitors will not be permitted to enter the session if they have not booked in advance.
- Sessions will be set up in the studio in a similar format to pre-covid, but with specific cleaning measures in place.
- Hand sanitation stations will be available upon entering and exiting from the activities.
- Hand sanitiser available throughout the session.
- A member of Learning Team will be facilitating the session, monitoring the safety of the environment, but above all else they will be smiling, happy and relaxed to keep your children happy and relaxed too.
- Test & Trace system QR code to be available as you enter the museum.
- All resources and high touch points to be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each session.
- If you have any concerns or questions prior to booking/attending this session please contact email@example.com (Family Learning Officer).