Coventry Open 2023: Submissions now open
Submissions are now open until Monday 13 February for our Coventry Open 2023 exhibition
Following the recent announcement of the return of Coventry Open for 2023, local artists are now able to submit their work for a chance to see it featured in the exhibition from 24 March - 21 May.
Set up to showcase local talent and provide selling opportunities for artists, Coventry Open celebrates the quality and diversity of art being produced in Coventry and the wider region. Visual artists living, work or studying in the West Midlands are invited to submit work in any fine art medium via our online submissions portal.
You can also download our Coventry Open Accessible Guide here.
Submitting your work for consideration is completely free. A £1000 prize is available for one winning entry chosen by the independent judging panel, who will select works for public display after submissions end on 13 February. An additional £500 prize will be awarded to the “people’s choice”, which will be chosen via a public voting system after the exhibition opens.
For the first time this year, the Herbert will also be hosting a Young People’s Coventry Open, offering young artists aged 15-18 a chance to exhibit their work in a professional gallery setting.
Work selected for exhibition will be expected to be for sale. No commission will be taken by the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum and artists will receive the full selling price of work. It will be assumed that the sale price includes the cost of any framing, so please allow for this when pricing your work.
- Work produced in any medium is welcome, including: Painting, Drawing, Photography, Digital, Print, Sculpture, Mixed Media, Installation, Video/Audio, Performance, Other.
Artists must be living, working or studying in one of the following West Midlands counties: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, the Metropolitan districts of Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton.
- 2D work should not exceed 2m in any direction, including frame.
- 3D work should be portable by one person and not exceed 1.5m in any direction.
- Electronically powered work should be submitted with written evidence that the work has been PAT tested.
- Film should not exceed 5 minutes running time.
- Work must have been made after March 2020.
- Work submitted must be original and the artist must undertake that they hold all moral and intellectual property rights in that work and that the work does not infringe the moral and intellectual property rights belonging to any third party.
- Culture Coventry reserves the right to exclude work that poses a health and safety risk or is deemed inappropriate in content.
- A maximum of two works of art may be submitted by each artist for consideration.
Dates for your Diary
Artist Entry Dates
Submissions open: Friday 6 January 2023
Submissions close: Midnight on Monday 13 February 2023
Selection Deadline: Sunday 26 February 2023
Selection Notification: Monday 27 February 2023
Artwork Delivery: Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 March 2023
Private View: Thursday 23 March 2023
Exhibition Open to Public: Friday 24 March - Sunday 21 May 2023
Collection of work: Saturday 27 May 2023